Upgrade and Maintenance Window – May, 2016
SmartHostPlan.com Upgrade and Maintenance Window for DRUM server, May 2016 (UPDATE 3)
Upgrading is taking longer then expected, but I’m happy to announce that we did successfully install MySQL up to version 5.6. We’re going to hold off on further updates until this weekend at this point to research an issue with the freetype library.
- May 1st, 2016
- Upgrade of the DirectAdmin Control Panel to version 1.5. This was needed to ensure that the backups were completing successfully.
- Backup of most account.
- May 2nd, 2016
- Direct backup and download of all MySQL databases
- Upgrade from MySQL 5.0 the 5.1 (Current advice is to upgrade each version seperatly, so the next upgrade will be to 5.5, followed by 5.6)
- Updated the MySQL connections and recompiled php 5.4.31
- May 3rd, 2016
- Another backup of the MySQL Databases
- Upgrade from MySQL 5.1 to 5.6. In order to make it work, we did end up skipping 5.5 due to a version error in DirectAdmin.
- While recompiling php 5.4.31 to work best with MySQL 5.6 we did run into issues with our installed freetype library.
We’re currently investigating what we can do to get beyond the build error.
- Conducted multiple tests to insure that php and MySQL as they are installed currently are working.
So far so good, but report errors as needed.
- Update: At 2:30 am we started seeing notices that http was not running. Diagnostics were ran, DirectAdmin’s forums reviewed, and we are now running on php 5.4.45. Service was fully restored by 3:05 am.
Next Maintenance Window
- Starting: 2016-05-07 10:00 PM MDT
- Ending: 2016-05-08 2:00 AM MDT
We’re taking the extra time to test and ensure that everything works well. While this is a slower method then planed, upgrading this route ensures that each upgrade works correctly before continuing to the next step. The upgrades will contain the following planned items:
- PHP upgrade to 5.5
- Apache upgrade to latest in the 2.2 branch
- MySQL upgrade to latest 5.6
- General Yum Upgrade for various server programs
If at any point we start running into issues, we’ll postpone this upgrade until a later date and contact you with the details via our direct customer mailing lists.